Are you considering installing a solar power system in your Utah home? With abundant sunshine throughout the year and some of the highest electricity rates in the country, it’s a smart move that can save you money and help the environment. However, not all solar installers are created equal. Here’s what you need to know to choose the best solar company in Utah.
Why Go Solar in Utah?
Utah’s climate is ideal for solar power generation, with more than 238 days of sunshine per year, making it the 9th sunniest state in the nation. This abundant sunshine provides a tremendous opportunity for homeowners to generate their own electricity and reduce their dependence on the grid. Moreover, Utah has a renewable portfolio standard (RPS) that requires utilities to generate a certain percentage of their electricity from renewable sources, including solar. This means that as more people in Utah switch to solar power, the state will become even cleaner and greener.
In addition to the environmental benefits, solar power can save you money on your electricity bills. By installing solar panels, you can generate your own electricity and reduce your dependence on the grid. This can translate to significant savings on your electricity bills over the long run.
Choosing a Solar Company in Utah
When determining the best solar contractor in Utah, there are several factors to consider. The following are some of the key considerations that can help you make an informed decision:
- Experience: Look for a company that has been in business for several years and has a proven track record of successful installations. Experienced solar providers are more likely to deliver high-quality solar installation and handle any challenges that may arise during the installation process.
- Licenses and certifications: Ensure that the company is licensed to operate in Utah and has the necessary certifications. Proper licensing and certifications indicate that the installer has the necessary skills, training, and knowledge to deliver quality services.
- Equipment and warranties: Ask about the equipment the company uses and the warranties they offer. High-quality, durable equipment is essential for optimal performance and long-term savings. Ensure that the installer offers warranties on both the equipment and the installation to protect your investment.
- Financing options: Solar power systems can be expensive upfront, but many installers offer financing options to help you spread out the cost over time. Look for a company that offers affordable financing with reasonable interest rates. This can make it easier to switch to solar power without breaking the bank.
- Customer service: Finally, choose a company with excellent customer service. They should be responsive to your questions and concerns and provide ongoing support after the installation. Good customer service can significantly impact your overall experience and satisfaction with the solar power system.
Other Benefits of Solar Energy in Utah
Besides the environmental and financial benefits, solar power in Utah has other advantages that can make it an attractive option for homeowners. For example, installing solar panels can increase the value of your home. According to a study by Zillow, homes with an installed solar system saw a 4% increase in home value compared to homes without solar power systems.
Additionally, solar power can provide energy independence and security. By generating your own electricity, you can reduce your reliance on the grid and protect yourself from power outages and electricity rate hikes. This can be especially important during extreme weather events, such as heat waves or winter storms. Moreover, installing solar panels can contribute to local job creation and economic development. The solar industry is a growing sector that creates jobs in installation, sales, and manufacturing. Supporting local solar installers can help support the local economy and promote sustainable economic growth.
In terms of environmental benefits, solar power can help reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Traditional electricity generation methods, such as coal-fired power plants, are major sources of air pollution and carbon dioxide emissions. By switching to solar power, you can reduce your carbon footprint and contribute to a cleaner and healthier environment.
Solar power installation also has a positive impact on public health. Air pollution from traditional electricity generation methods can cause respiratory and cardiovascular problems, especially for vulnerable populations such as children, the elderly, and people with pre-existing health conditions. By reducing air pollution, solar power can help improve public health and reduce healthcare costs.
Finally, installing solar panels can help you become more energy-conscious and promote sustainable living. Solar power systems require minimal maintenance and can last for decades with proper care. By using renewable energy sources, you can reduce your reliance on non-renewable resources and contribute to a more sustainable future.
How to Size Your Solar Power System
Choosing the right size for your Utah solar power system is crucial to ensure optimal performance and savings. A solar power system’s size is measured in kilowatts (kW), which indicates the system’s capacity to generate electricity. A typical residential solar power system ranges from 7 to 15 kW.
To determine the right size for your solar power system, you need to consider several factors, including your electricity consumption, roof size, and available sunlight. The following steps can help you size your solar power system:
- Calculate your average daily electricity consumption: Review your electricity bills over the past year to determine your average daily electricity consumption. This can help you estimate the size of the solar power system you need to meet your electricity needs.
- Consider your roof size and orientation: Solar panels require adequate roof space and proper orientation to maximize sunlight exposure. Ensure that your roof is large enough to accommodate the solar panels and that it faces south, southwest, or southeast to receive maximum sunlight.
- Determine your available sunlight: Utah’s climate is ideal for solar power generation, but the amount of sunlight varies depending on your location and weather conditions. Use a solar calculator to determine your available sunlight and estimate the system size needed to meet your electricity needs.
- Consult with a solar installer: A professional solar installer can help you determine the right size for your solar power system based on your specific needs and circumstances. They can perform a site assessment to evaluate your roof’s suitability, available sunlight, and other factors.
Financing Your Solar Power System
Solar power systems can be expensive upfront, but they can save you money over the long run by reducing your electricity bills and increasing your home’s value. Fortunately, many solar installers offer financing options to help you spread out the cost over time. The following are some common financing options for solar power systems:
- Solar loans: Solar loans are specifically designed to finance solar power systems. They offer flexible repayment terms, low interest rates, and may be tax-deductible.
- Home equity loans: Home equity loans allow you to borrow against the equity in your home to finance a solar power system. They offer low interest rates and tax-deductible interest, but require you to use your home as collateral.
- Cash: Purchasing your solar system with cash is a great way to avoid financing costs and interest payments, which can add up over time. Additionally, owning your solar system outright increase your home’s value and makes it more attractive to potential buyers.
Solar power is a smart and sustainable choice for Utah homeowners looking to save money on their electricity bills and reduce their carbon footprint. By choosing the right solar installer and sizing your solar power system appropriately, you can enjoy the full benefits of solar power for decades to come.
When selecting a solar installer, it’s crucial to consider factors such as experience, licensing and certifications, equipment and warranties, financing options, and customer service. Don’t be swayed by the cheapest price or the flashiest marketing materials. Instead, choose an installer with a proven track record of successful installations and a commitment to quality service and customer satisfaction.
Remember that solar power is a long-term investment, and it’s important to choose an installer that can provide ongoing support and maintenance to ensure optimal performance and savings. With the right installer and financing options, you can switch to solar power without breaking the bank and enjoy significant savings on your electricity bills over the long run.
Going solar can also contribute to a cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable environment for yourself and future generations. Solar power is a smart choice that pays off in many ways, from financial savings to environmental benefits and energy independence. Contact us today to learn more about how solar can benefit you.